UK Tier 4 (General) student visa is issued for students aged over 16 years to study in the UK.
Tier 4 student visa will be issued on the basis of the following;
- You have been offered a place on a course at one of the UK higher education authorities or UK university.
- The applicant can speak, read, write and understand English
- You must have enough money to support yourself during your studies and pay for your course.
- You are from a country that’s not in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- Meet the other entry & eligibility requirements
There won’t be any changes to the rights and status of citizens of EU countries currently living in the UK until 30 June 2021. You and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK.
You can make an application to the home office for a visa 3 months before your course start date. The decision of your visa application will be available within 3 weeks from the date you give biometrics and documents submission.
You can even request for a visa faster than normal. Find out about paying for a faster decision.
Tier 4 Visa application Fee:
- Applicants from the outside UK: £348
- For each dependant: £348 per person.
Immigration Healthcare surcharge
As part of your visa application, you’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge.
Check how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.
Duration of your stay
You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:
- up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
- up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months
The length of your stay in the UK depended on the kind, of course, you’re doing and what study you’ve already completed and the duration of your course.
What you can and cannot do with Tier 4 general visa:
- work as a student union sabbatical officer
- Apply for a visa from inside or outside the UK
- Apply to extend your stay
- work in most jobs – depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have
- You are not able to get public funds
- work in certain jobs, for example, professional sportsperson or sports coach
- study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)
You may be able to bring your family members (dependants).
Full guidance to find out how long you might be able to stay and what you can and cannot do.
Tier 4 Visa Documents checklist
You must provide:
- Your current passport or valid travel documentation
- Proof of funds to support yourself while you study in the UK and for your course fee payment. The amount may vary depending on your circumstances.
- If you are under 18 you must provide the proof of parental or other legal guardian consent.
- Relationship proof with your parent or guardian if you’re under 18 years of age.
- your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test.
Your passport must have at least a blank page for your visa.
You may also need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.
University admission documents checklist
- Valid Passport
- Updated CV
- All academic documents from 10th
- Semester mark list
- Consolidated mark list
- Skype ID
- Course preference &location (if any)
- IELTS scorecard (if any)
- Experience certificate (if any)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)