UKVI TB Test (Tuberculosis tests for UK visa applicants)


UKVI TB (tuberculosis) test report is needed if you’re applying for a UK visa for more than 6 months duration if you are a resident of these listed countries.

You’ll be given a chest x-ray to test for TB tests. If the result of the x-ray is not clear you may also be asked to give a sputum sample (phlegm coughed up from your lungs).

If you’re tested that you do not have TB, you’ll be given a certificate that is valid for 6 months from the date of your x-ray. You need to include this certificate with your UK visa application.

Who does not need to be tested

You will not need to provide a TB test if any of the following apply:

  • If you are a diplomat accredited to the UK.
  • If you are a returning UK resident and have not been away for more than 2 years.
  • If you lived for at least 6 months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been away from that country for no more than 6 months.


Children must see a clinician who will decide if they required a chest x-ray or not. Normally children under 11 will not have a chest x-ray.

You must complete a health questionnaire with an approved clinic. The clinician will decide your child does not have TB and they will issue you a certificate. You need to include this certificate with your child’s UK visa application.

Pregnant women

You can decide any of the following options:

  • an x-ray with an extra shield to protect you and your unborn child in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.
  • a sputum test (phlegm coughed up from your lungs) – there may be an extra fee and you could wait up to 8 weeks for results.
  • to wait until after delivery.

If you do not wish to be TB tested, you can use an x-ray taken within the last 3 months at an approved UK screening clinic or test center. You can ask a clinician at an approved clinic to review your x-ray. If it’s accepted the clinician will give you a certificate to provide with your UK visa application.

Countries where you need a TB test to enter the UK

You will be required to submit a TB test report if you are from these countries with an exemption to Who does not need to be tested